Senior Ruby Developer
We’re looking for a Senior Ruby Developer to join our team, designing, building and optimising backend functions and services as we scale our cloud-based, connected home platform and deliver branded services for major insurance partners in Europe and North America.
Depending on your skills, experience and interests you will initially concentrate on either smart home or insurance activities, but we’re still a small team so you’ll be close to everything and actively collaborating on important themes such as security, reliability, usability and scalability.
Your primary base will be one of our offices (Brighton or London Bridge), alongside colleagues from across the business. There will be opportunities to work remotely when the need arises, as well as to visit client and partner facilities in the UK and abroad. We’ll also encourage you to continue your personal and professional development, and you can accrue time and budget to support this.
As a senior team-member you will have an influential voice in our solution architecture, technology selection and product strategy, and scope to develop your skills and experience in a number of directions as the business grows.
Neos arrived on the scene in 2017 with a fresh take on home insurance: bundling smart devices linked to a mobile app that alerts customers to potentially costly problems like break-ins, fire and escape of water. Last year we launched the hugely successful Neos SmartCam - firstly as the centrepiece of our connected insurance package, and then as a standalone retail product.
Now, with tens of thousands of Neos policy holders on board and a number of industry awards under our belt, we also supply our connected home technology to a number of major insurance brands around the world, enabling them to differentiate their products and shake up their own markets.
While we’re still very much a fast-moving startup company, we also enjoy the backing of our majority shareholder Aviva. Our collaborative and sociable team has already grown by almost 40% in 2019 and we have opened a second Neos office, a short walk from Brighton train station.
We’d love to hear from you if you're:
- A senior-level Ruby developer who can get up to speed quickly and bring additional hands-on experience to our team.
- An excellent communicator, accustomed to operating in small, cross-functional teams, dispersed across multiple locations.
- Solution-focused, always thinking of the overall objective and understanding the meaning of done means done.
- Ready to guide and support other team members when needed, as well as reaching out when things aren’t going your way.
We’d expect you to have:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a back-end developer in a commercial environment
with expert knowledge of:
- Ruby (with and without Rails) OR demonstrated experience in adapting from other languages (min 3 years)
- REST API development
and strong experience of:
- Git, using pull requests
- TDD with build/test automation
- Both project-led and agile/scrum environments
while the following experience would be beneficial, but not essential:
- Integration of third-party services and data
- Working with Ruby outside of Rails
- Close cooperation with operations teams to consider scalability and observability of services
- Pubsub and message queueing
- AWS (particularly IoT, SQS, and SNS)
- Some frontend development capabilites
People matter at Neos. We’re a vibrant, friendly team who practise togetherness, cherish diversity, celebrate achievements, reward hard work and believe in our product. There are endless opportunities for you to develop and grow in your area of expertise and you’ll be making a real difference to the lives of our customers.
- Up to £70,000 per annum salary (DOE)
- 22 days’ holidays per year (excluding public holidays);
- Private medical insurance (after probation period)
- Cycle to work scheme (after probation period)
- Childcare vouchers (after probation period)
- Great coffee, daily snacks and a fabulous, collaborative working space in either Brighton or London Bridge.
Please note that applicants must already have the required visas to live and work in the UK.
DIVERSITY AT NEOS
Neos embraces diversity and we will always promote the benefits of a diverse team across our entire business. We rigorously ensure that we treat everyone equally irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, political beliefs or membership or non-membership of a Trade Union or spent convictions and place an obligation upon all team members to respect and act in accordance with this core value.