Ruby Developer (FTE)
We are an award winning, InsurTech startup on the hunt for a Ruby Developer to join our growing team.
We have a unique proposition that combines smart technology (like connected cameras, leak and motion sensors and smoke alarms) with comprehensive home insurance, all connected to the Neos app to deliver true, 24/7 piece of mind to our customers. Protecting what matters most, when it most matters is at the heart of our business.
We are on a mission to disrupt the insurance industry and give customers great value. As a startup we are the new brand on the block, looking to spread the word and drive spectacular growth. We find opportunities everywhere and solve problems together to make sure we deliver for our customers. The result is a calm, yet purposeful environment, with a sociable and co-operative culture.
We were recently ranked no. 6 in the world’s 100 most disruptive brands, winning awards for Best Insurer in IoT, Internet of Things Breakthrough and the Insurance Times ‘Insurer Innovation of the Year’ award 2017, as well as their 'B2C Insurance Start-Up of the Year' award in 2018.
Reporting to the Lead Developer, you will join the core team building and supporting our insurance and IoT software platforms, which enable customers to obtain quotes and purchase our connected home policies, provides the admin functions for our insurance operations team to support the growing Neos book, and powers connected home insurance products for an increasing number of major insurance brands alongside our own. Initially working on plan-based activities, as the team expands you will help us transition to Scrum teams working directly with a product owner.
This is a full time position based in either our Brighton or London office.
We want to hear from you if you're:
- Midweight-level Ruby developer who can get up to speed quickly and bring additional hands-on experience to our core team.
- An excellent communicator, with experience of working in small, dispersed teams.
- Able to work with minimal supervision but recognise the right time to request support.
- Always promoting high standards and understand the importance of collaboration and the definition of done.
- Able to function as Scrum Master in small agile teams.
- Experienced within a fast-paced, tech startup environment (advantageous).
- At least 3 years’ experience as a back-end developer in a commercial environment
- Expert knowledge of:
- Ruby with and without Rails (min 2 years)
- REST API development
- MVC, REST, JSON
- SQL (specifically Postgres)
- Strong experience of:
- Git , using pull requests
- TDD with build/test automation
- Project-led and agile/scrum environments
- Experience of:
- Integration of third-party services (particularly payment services) and data
- Server development with emphasis on scalability and performance
- Pubsub and message queueing
- AWS (particularly IoT, SQS, and SNS)
- Elixir, or other functional languages
- Some experience of frontend development
- Experience working closely with operations teams to consider scalability and observability of services
People matter at Neos. We’re a vibrant, friendly team who practise togetherness, cherish diversity, celebrate achievements, reward hard work and believe in our product. There are endless opportunities for you to develop and grow in your area of expertise and you’ll be making a real difference to the lives of our customers.
- Up to £48,000 per annum salary (DOE)
- Choose your own computer
- 22 days’ holidays per year (excluding public holidays);
- Private medical insurance (after probation period)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Great coffee, daily snacks and a fabulous, collaborative working space in either Brighton or London
Please note that applicants must already have the required visas to live and work in the UK.
DIVERSITY AT NEOS
Neos embraces diversity and we will always promote the benefits of a diverse team across our entire business. We rigorously ensure that we treat everyone equally irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, political beliefs or membership or non-membership of a Trade Union or spent convictions and place an obligation upon all team members to respect and act in accordance with this core value.